With Easter coming up and a long weekend to look forward to, many of us will be packing up the tent, kitting out the motorhome and heading on an adventure. To help you get prepared we’ve got our top tips for making the most of beautiful WA and all the kit and gadgets you’ll need to turn your tent into a home away from home.
First of all, where shall we go? There are so many great spots in WA and if you’re looking for somewhere with a few more amenities, the likes of D’Entrecasteaux National Park near Pemberton, Honeymoon Pool on the Collie River or Conto Campground just south of Margaret River are great options. If you’re looking for a bit more seclusion and want to set up camp off-grid this website has some useful tips to ensure you’re not trespassing or disrupting the local environment.
Once the itinerary is sorted we can get packing. We all know the basic kit, including tent, sleeping bags, pillows, food and water supplies, cooking equipment and utensils, camping chairs, lighting and torches, bug spray, warm clothing, etc., but there are loads of fancy new gadgets that’ll ensure you’ll never have to stay in a hotel again!
- Grub Hub: For the camping foodies, the Grub Hub is an American product that organises, stores and transports all of your kitchen gear. The Grub Hub folds out to reveal preparation space, shelving, a stove platform and even a kitchen sink!
- Coleman’s Solar Shower: Access to water and showering facilities can often be limited when camping so Coleman’s Solar Shower is a great alternative. You simply fill the bag with water and leave on a flat surface in the sun for around three hours before you can enjoy a hot shower or dish washing facilities. It’s also great as emergency water supply and costs just $11.99.
- Volt Heat heated clothing: As the weather cools down many will be put off the idea of camping but not us! Volt Heat heated clothing means we can explore our beautiful landscape in all seasons. The range includes heated gloves, vests and slippers.
- Westinghouse WH2400i Digital Inverter Generator: Having a reliable power supply when camping will make life a lot easier, especially if you’re staying off-grid. With two 240V AC outlets and one 12V DC outlet, the WH2400i will power your electronic equipment, such as phones, TVs and kitchen gadgets, without making loads of noise or taking up too much space.
- Engel portable fridge: On long trips sometimes an Esky just won’t cut it. Luckily Engel has a great range of portable fridges and even some combo fridge freezers. Engel’s fridges are lightweight, large-capacity and durable and can be powered using your generator or plugged in to your vehicle’s cigarette lighter.
- Minipresso: Can’t bear to be away from your favourite café? Then Minipresso is for you! It lets you prepare espresso in a lightweight, handheld machine – you simply unlock it from its carrying position and press the button to control the amount of coffee you want. It is perfect for hiking trips too and even comes in different water tank capacities so you can enjoy different types of espresso.
- Nomad Collapsible Tub: If you really want to go all out, you can even take a hot tub with you! You’ll need access to a water pump and to pay extra for a heater coil unit if you’d like to turn the tub into a hot tub but the product can also be set up in your own backyard when you return home.
Got any other top tips or useful gadgets for camping trips? Let us know on our Facebook page. Happy camping!